Thanks For Visiting

Thursday, March 8, 2018

71 Days in Isaiah: Day 5: Isaiah 2:5-21


Isaiah 2:5-21

Come, descendants of Jacob, let us walk in the light of the LORD.  You, LORD, have abandoned your people, the descendants of Jacob. They are full of superstitions from the East; they practice divination like the Philistines and embrace pagan customs.  Their land is full of silver and gold; there is no end to their treasures. Their land is full of horses; there is no end to their chariots.  Their land is full of idols; they bow down to the work of their hands, to what their fingers have made.  So people will be brought low and everyone humbled— do not forgive them.  Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from the fearful presence of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!  The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; the LORD alone will be exalted in that day.   The LORD Almighty has a day in store for all the proud and lofty, for all that is exalted (and they will be humbled), for all the cedars of Lebanon, tall and lofty, and all the oaks of Bashan, for all the towering mountains and all the high hills, for every lofty tower and every fortified wall, for every trading ship and every stately vessel.  The arrogance of man will be brought low and human pride humbled; the LORD alone will be exalted in that day, and the idols will totally disappear.  People will flee to caves in the rocks and to holes in the ground from the fearful presence of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty, when he rises to shake the earth.  In that day people will throw away to the moles and bats their idols of silver and idols of gold, which they made to worship.  They will flee to caverns in the rocks and to the overhanging crags from the fearful presence of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty, when he rises to shake the earth.

 

What do I put in front of the Lord?  Is my pursuit of things, the treasures of this world, affecting my relationship with God?  I am guilty of having idols.  I have walked past a homeless person and judged that they were just going to buy drugs with what I gave them.  I put my pride and self before Christ.  Christ said we would always have the poor with us, I believe it is our job to help them, in the love of Christ...what that homeless person does with what I gave them, that shouldn’t matter to me.  Do I always do what I believe, no; but I’m workin’ on it.

 

I should have nothing in my possession that I would not be willing to give up, if Christ called me to give it up.  That thought scares me a little, to be honest...I like my stuff.  But as I grow in Christ I am struck by how little worth those things have.  I can’t take it with me when I die!!  When I am before the Lord, the only thing I have to justify me is the redeeming blood of Christ.  Will I have to answer for all that I have said and done, sure...but I have been bought and paid for.  I would like to hear, “well done thou faithful servant” when Christ looks at my life.

 

cej

No comments:

Post a Comment